Editor's & Reviewer's Guide
SPECIFIC GUIDELINE FOR WRITING MANUSCRIPTS
1. Writing Manuscripts
Manuscript should be prepared in A4 paper with space of 10 mm from top, bottom, right side and left side. Font size should be 10.0 points, row space 200%. The format for word process program accepted is HWP and MS word DOC files. The language of the text can be not only Korean but also English. Full name or English name can be written in the parenthesis in the Korean text. English can be written if there is no available Korean translation, such as proper noun, geography, or name. The capital letter should be used for proper noun. Medical terminology should be followed by the recent terminology book published by the Korean Medical Association (http://kamje.or.kr/term/).
Numeric characters should be written as Arabic letter. Metric system of weights and measures and SI unit should be used. Page number should be typed in the center of the bottom of page.
2. List of Content
The list of content is as followings: Cover page, title page, English abstract, Introduction, Subjects and Methods, Results, Discussion, Acknowledgement, References, Tables and Figures in separate page. If the number is required following order is suggested.
1., 2., 3.
1), 2), 3)
a., b., c.,
i), ii), iii)
3. Cover Page and Title Page
In cover page, title, authors’full name and affiliation should be written in English. If the authors are more than or equal to two, there should be comma between authors. If the affiliation of authors is not identical, the superscript number should be marked to the name and corresponding affiliation. DVM and PhD should not be written. Bottom of cover page, the address of corresponding author including name, telephone, fax and email address should be described. Additionally, the abbreviated title should be added. If necessary, presentation in the meeting may be described.
4. Title and Abstract
Title, authors’ name and affiliation are centered. Title should be simple and lucid so that the content of the manuscript is easily disclosed. There should not be abbreviation or the title beginning with “he study on, or The discussion on” should be avoided. Abstract should be written in English with lucid expression. The subtitle should be constructed as one paragraph. The description should be sentences. The length of the abstract should be less than 250 words. In the next line of abstract, less than or equal to five keywords should be written. The keywords should be selected from MeSH (Medical Subject Heading). The first word of the keywords should be capital letter.
5. Main Text
For Introduction, the purpose and the background should be written simply and lucidly. In Subjects and Methods section, the methodology should be written precisely so that others can get same results with repeated experiment. In the Results, objective fact should be disclosed. In the Discussion, author’s interpretation of the results, author’s opinion and process of inducing conclusion should be written simply.
The contributors who helped administrative work, assisted in the research process or participated in proof-reading etc. can be described. The financial support and its contents would be described.
1) It should be written in English
2) If there is no English description from textbooks or papers in Korean, it should be written by author’s translation or Romanization of the Korean characters provided by the National Institute of Korean Language available at http://www.korean.go.kr/.
1. Yun YW, Han HJ, Gang CW. 2004. Endocrinology. pp. 603-673. In: Yang IS(ed.). Veterinary physiology. 4th. Gwang-il munhwasa. Seoul.
2. QIA. 2011. chugsanmul-ui gagonggijun mich seongbun gyugyeog, QIA Notification 2011-105.
3. Seoul. 2006. Chuksanmul Wisaeng Eommu Pyeollam pp. 100-104.
3) Maximum number of references should be about 30 except in case of Review article. The periodicals should be described in the order of author, publication year, title, journal name, volume and page. For textbook, author, publication year, title, place of publication, and publisher should be described in the order named. The journal name should be written according to the abbreviation of Index Medicus or KoreaMed. If not indexed in Index Medicus and KoreaMed, the official abbreviation of the journal should be used. If there is no official abbreviation, the full name of journal may be written.
4) The citation should be in the text are typed as follows: Kim (2008) or (Kim, 2008); Song et al. (2000) or (Song et al., 2000); Song and Chung (2009) or (Song and Chung, 2009).
Example: Citation in the text
Chronic FC may follow an acute stage of the disease or result from infection with organisms of low virulence (Christensen et al., 2008; Gilsson et al., 2003; Timoney et al., 1992).
5) The reference in the end of the manuscript should be in alphabet order. Title of textbook or paper should be written capital letter only for the first word. All authors should be described. Below examples are referenced:
Shil NK, Rahman MS, Hossain M, Islam MT, Rahman MM, Islam KBMS, Cha SY, Jang HK, Song HJ. 2007. Immune response and efficacy of pigeon pox virus vaccine and fowl pox virus vaccine in chickens. Korean J Vet Serv 30: 497-503.
Easterday BC, van Reeth K. 1999. Swine influenza, pp. 277-290. In: Straw BE, D'Allaire S, Mengeling WL, Taylor DI(ed.). Diseases of swine. 8th ed. Iowa State University Press. Ames, Iowa.
Example: PhD Thesis
Kim YH. 2002. Multiplex PCR and in situ hybridization for deifferential diagnosis of Mycobacterium species from bovine clinical samples. Ph.D. Thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
* In case of master’ thesis, [dissertation] should be displaced as [master’s thesis].
FDA. 2006. Code of Federal Regulation, Food and Drug, Part 110 CGMP and Part 120 HACCP. http://www. michigan.gov/documents/MDA_cfr110_ 10316_7.pdf.
FSIS. 2005. Laboratory guidebook. Identification of animal species in meat and poultry products. http://www.fsis.usda. gov/Ophs/Microlab/Mlg17. 02.pdf.
ICH. 1996. Q2B validation of analytical procedures: Methodogy http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ Regulator%20yInformation/Guidances/UCM128049. pdf.
6) If the journal reference cited is not indexed in KoreaMed or PubMed, its pdf file should be sent to the editorial office simultaneously when the manuscript is submitted. This is for minimizing the errors that may occur in REFERENCES section.
8. Tables and Figures
1) Tables and Figures should be lucid and simple and should be cited in the text. Title and the explanation of Tables and Figures should be written in English. The abbreviation used should be described as full name in the bottom of Tables or Figures. Although same words or numbers appear, they should be written repeatedly.
2) Photos or figures should be marked as Figures meanwhile tables should be marked as Tables. Tables and Figures should be printed in black and white although they are originally in color except that authors request color printing. The fee for color printing should be invoiced to authors.
3) Explanation for Figures should be in English. Number of Figures should be in a form of Fig. 1, Fig. 2. The first word of the title and explanation should be in capital letter. If there is more than or equal to two figures in same Figure number, it is written as Fig. 1A, Fig. 1B.
4) Table number is written in the form of Table 1, Table 2, and Table 3. Title should be in paragraph or phrase. The first letter of noun and adjective should be written in capital letter in title. There should be no vertical line in the Table. Abbreviation in the Table should be re-described in its full name. The mark should be used in the order of *, †, ‡, §, ∥, ** and explained in the bottom line.
5) Figure files should be in jpg or ppt format. However, after the acceptance author should send the tif files with contrast degree equal to or greater than 600 dpi.
9. Guidelines for Review
Title, author, and affiliation should be in Korean as well as in English. Length of manuscript is less than 4,500 words. Length of English abstract should be less than 250 words. There is no limitation to number of references.
10. Guidelines for Short Communication
Title, author, and affiliation should be in Korean as well as in English. Length of manuscript is less than 1,500 words. Length of English abstract should be less than 250 words. A total number of Tables and Figures should be restricted to two.
11. Case Report
Title, author, and affiliation should be in English. Length of manuscript is less than 1,500 words. Length of English abstract should be less than 250 words. A total number of Tables and Figures should be restricted to two.
12. Undescribed Matters
Any items, issues or cases not described in the Introduction to Authors should be decided by the Editorial Board.